Meeting - HABR February 10, 2009 (View All)
HISTORIC AREAS BOARD OF REVIEW
February 10, 2009
MEMBERS PRESENT: William Walther
ABSENT: Henry Shrady
ALSO PRESENT: Gina Raymond, Clerk Typist
Denise Sullivan, Deputy Town Attorney
Thano Schoppel, Chair, called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. Hearings on this meeting’s agenda, which are made a part of this meeting, were held as noted below:
APPLICANTS DECISION HABR #
DEMAIO BUILDERS INC. APPROVED HABR#09-01
77.11 / 1 / 19; R-15 zone WITH CONDITIONS
COMITO CONTINUED HABR#09-02
78.13 / 1 / 3.3; R-40 zone
THE DECISIONS RELATED TO THE ABOVE HEARINGS are inserted herein and made part of these minutes.
There being no further business to come before the Board, on motion duly made, seconded and carried, the meeting was adjoined at 8:30 P.M.
DATED: February 10, 2009
HISTORIC AREAS BOARD OF REVIEW
DEPUTY TOWN ATTORNEY
TOWN BOARD MEMBERS
BUILDING INSPECTOR (Individual Decisions)
DEPT. of ENVIRONMENTAL MGMT. and ENGINEERING
APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS
TO: Ralph DeMaio HABR # 09-01
275 Phillips Hill Road February 10, 2009
New City, New York 10956
FROM: HISTORIC AREAS BOARD OF REVIEW, TOWN OF ORANGETOWN
HABR# 09-01: Application of DeMaio Builders Inc. for review of a proposed new single family residence to be located at 145 Kings Highway, in the Town of Orangetown, Hamlet of Tappan, New York. Chapter 12, Section 12-4(A), Historic Areas Board of Review.
Tax Numbers: 77.11 / 1 / 19; R-15 zoning district.
Heard by the HISTORIC AREAS BOARD OF REVIEW at a meeting held on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at which time the Board made the following determination:
The applicant presented the following items for review:
- Survey dated June 21, 2008, erosion added 9/15/08, trees & grading added 10/20/08 , trees along Kings Highway added 12/13/08 signed and sealed by John Atzl, L.S.
- Architectural plans signed and sealed by James H. Tanner, Architect, dated 1/09, (4 pages).
- Alternate architectural plan, one page dated 11/02 signed and sealed by James Tanner, Architect.
Ralph DeMaio appeared.
Ralph DeMaio stated that after the rejection of the previous plan he went back to the architect and they worked hard to come up with this proposal; that this house looks more colonial without the larger windows from the previous submission; that the house has the same siding with accents at the peaks; that the shutters are paneled burgundy shutters; that the railings will be colonial style in beige to match the trim; that he prefers to keep the double door entry because it makes it easy to bring in furniture, but he is not opposed to a single door with side lights; that he is proposing outdoor lighting on both sides of the front door, over the garage doors and between the windows on the deck; that the lights would be Portofoli bronze finish lights; that the roof will be certainteed horizon Prariewood color; that the front door would be stained mahogany; that the windows will have grids; that the stone will be Owens Corning Bucks County Ledgestone; that the accent shakes will be painted Savannah Wicker; and that the plan has been corrected to show the proposed trees in clumps of three; and that they are planning to leave as many trees as possible in the front.
Greg and Patty McKillop, 135 Kings Highway, stated that they grew up in Tappan; that they have seen the plans and they like the plan with or without the front porch; that they like the natural colors and will be happy to see the project get started.
FINDINGS OF FACT:
The Board, after personal observation of the property, hearing all the testimony and reviewing same, found as fact, that:
The application as presented would not adversely affect the Historic District and the surrounding area. The design and materials for the proposed house are complimentary to the District.
DECISION: In view of the foregoing and the testimony before the Board, the application (Survey dated June 21, 2008, erosion added 9/15/08, trees & grading added 10/20/08 , trees along Kings Highway added 12/13/08 signed and sealed by John Atzl, L.S. and Architectural plans signed and sealed by James H. Tanner, Architect, dated 1/09, (4 pages); is APPROVED as submitted and presented with the following conditions:
- The roof shall be Certainteed Prairie Wood Dimensional Roof 230# (30 yr.).
- The siding shall be tan/clay Savannah vinyl cedar impression shakes on front with 4” horizontal vinyl siding on side and rear elevations.
- The trim shall be Sandstone beige trim.
- White Anderson White Silverline casement windows with grids (with 3” integral trim on side and rear elevations).
- Owens Corning Bucks County Dressed Ledgestone Veneer shall be installed on front up to sill height and behind the two story bay window.
- The shutters shall be burgundy panel shutters (Wineberry #167).
- The outdoor lights shall be antique bronze finish with two lights on either side of the front door, two lights over the garage doors and one light at the back door.
- The front door shall be stained mahogany; the applicant has the choice of a single door with side lights or a double door, if a double door is chosen it must be the same manufacturer and style ad the single door.
- The accented shakes shall be certaineed in Savannah Wicker.
- The garage doors shall be aluminum standstone color with a top panel of 4 square glass.
A motion to approve the application with SPECIFIC CONDITIONS was presented and moved by Larry Bucciarelli, seconded by Ralph Margaret Raso; and carried as follows: Thano Schoppel, aye; Margaret Raso, aye;; William Walther, aye; Larry Bucciarelli, aye; and Scott Wheatley, aye. Henry Shrady was absent.
The Administrative Aid to the Board is hear by authorized, directed and empowered to sign this decision and file a certified copy thereof in the office of the Town Clerk.
Dated: February 10, 2009
HISTORIC AREAS BOARD OF REVIEW
TOWN OF ORANGETOWN
Deborah Arbolino, Administrative Aide
APPLICANT TOWN CLERK
TOWN BOARD MEMBERS HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT
HABR MEMBERS TOWN HISTORIAN
SUPERVISOR DEPT. OF ENVIRONMENTAL
TOWN ATTORNEY ENGINEERING
DEPUTY TOWN ATTORNEY HABR, PB, FILE
OBZPAE PB, ZBA, ACABOR CHAIRMAN
BUILDING INSPECTOR- B,vW.