Please follow the guidelines below to avoid a delay in the pickup of your materials:
- Make sure you recycling bins are placed curbside the evening prior to your pick up date.
- You may use clear plastic bags if your recycling bins are not big enough. Please place these bags along side your designated recycling bins.
- Please keep paper products and containers in separate recycling bins. Containers should be washed clean and free of lids, caps, etc.
- If your recyclable material is not picked up on the scheduled date, please contact the Highway Department’s Solid Waste Hotline at 359-6988 or 359-6989 as soon as possible.
- Due to restrictions imposed by the Rockland County Solid Waste Management Authority, the pickup of recycling will no longer include plastic bags. This includes items that are placed in plastic bags such as shredded paper, etc. Shredded paper should be placed in the paper recycling bin or brown paper bags. Plastic bags can be taken to local grocery stores that accept them.
* All cardboard must be flat and cut to pieces no larger than 3’x3’. Please do not place pieces of cardboard in a cardboard box.
If you have any questions regarding the Recycling Program, please contact the Orangetown Solid Waste Hotline at 359-6988 or 359-6989.
For more information regarding Recycling in Orangetown Please Visit Rockland Recycles for information regarding Recycling Schedules, disposal locations and other helpful recycling information.
For ordinary garbage, Town residents contract with private carters, based on rates set by the Town Sanitation Commission. This includes regular pickup of bulk items. You may obtain free recycling bins from the Highway Department for use curbside. The Town operates a Drop Off Center for convenient disposal of bulk items, electronic waste, greenwaste and other items – obtain a permit at the Highway Department. Take paint and other household hazardous waste to the Rockland County Household Hazardous Waste Facility in Pomona (364‐2444). Old tires – for $2 each, bring them to the Rockland County Solid Waste transfer station on Rte 303 in W. Nyack (358‐0759). There are specific rules for all waste programs – please review the Highway Department website and call with any questions (359-6500). Your cooperation is essential to keeping Orangetown beautiful!
Curbside Bulk Pick-Up
Once a Month-Year Round Service
Private sanitation services provide curbside bulk pick-up from your homes. Your bulk items should be placed curbside the evening prior to your pickup. Please check with your private sanitation service for the date of pickup. This will not change your backyard refuse service now provided by your private sanitation service.
If you have any questions or would like more information regarding this new service, please call the Highway Department at 359-6988 or 359-6989.
In order to provide the most economical and efficient service, please observe the following guidelines:
- Items should be placed in an orderly manner curbside for your last garbage pickup of the month:
- Items should be less than 5ft in length and bundled
- Appliance doors removed
- Glass and mirrors taped to prevent shattering
- Sharp objects (nails, screws, etc.) should be removed from items for pickup.
|Acceptable Materials||Unacceptable Materials|
* Refrigerators/Air Conditioners must have the freon removed and red-tagged by a licensed freon removal service. Residents may bring these items to the Drop-Off Center located at the Highway Department, 119 Route 303, Orangeburg, New York.
The Sanitation Commission meets a few times a year to issue the garbage carters their licenses. They also discuss any problems that arise throughout the year concerning the carters. Contact Information- (845) 359-6500