Camp Shanks Museum commemorates the largest World War II embarkation camp on America’s East Coast. Camp Shanks is located on South Greenbush Road, Orangeburg New York (by the Rail Trail Bridge by Lowe’s Home Improvement).
Camp Shanks served as a point of embarkation for troops departing overseas during World War II. Dubbed “Last Stop USA”, the camp housed about 50,000 troops spread over 2,040 acres and was the largest World War II Army embarkation camp, processing 1.3 million service personnel including 75% of those participating in the D-Day invasion. In 1945 Camp Shanks housed German and Italian prisoners of war.
After the war, Camp Shanks was converted into housing for veterans with families attending colleges and universities in the New York City area under the GI Bill; the settlement, then known as Shanks Village, closed in 1954. A small museum opened near the site in June 1994.
Hours: June- August – Saturday/Sunday 12-4pm