Highway Department’s FAQ
1. When will my bulk/junk items be picked up?
Your bulk/junk items are picked up by your private sanitation company. Your private sanitation company picks up four (4) bulk items a month. Please contact your sanitation company for acceptable bulk/junk items and dates.
Working Refrigerators/Freezers – Orange & Rockland Utilities will pick up any working refrigerator or freezer and pay you $50.00 for each unit recycled. Call 1-866-552-3755 or visit the Green Team online (oru.com/GreenTeam) to schedule your free pickup.
2. The recycling company did not pick up some/all of my recycling, when will they come back?
Your recycling must be placed curbside the evening prior to you scheduled pickup. If your recycling was not picked up, please call the highway department to at 359-6988 to report your missed stop. The Highway Department compiles a list of missed stops and will FAX that list to the Recycling Company. Please leave your recycling out as the Recycling Company will return the following day.
3. What are the “Drop-Off Center” Hours?
4. What are the “Drop-Off Center” Regulations?
5. How do I get a “Drop-Off Center” Permit?
Please visit the Orangetown Highway Department administrative office at 119 Route 303, Orangeburg, for your permit application. Please bring a valid picture I.D. for proof of residency and the vehicle registration for each vehicle you would like to register. Review the “Drop-Off Center” regulations (click to download pdf) and complete your free, one time application.
6. Which section of the Green Waste Program am I in?
Please review your Green Waste Program Map. Use the street names on the section borders as a guide.
7. Which section of the Green Waste Program in the Highway Department currently servicing?
Please review your Green Waste Program calendar. The color of the date box represents which section we are servicing.