Youth Police Academy
1. The Youth Bureau shall be maintained for the purpose of planning and putting into operation programs designed for the prevention of juvenile delinquency and waywardness of minors.
2. Plan and execute procedures designed for the prevention of juvenile delinquency and youth crime.
3. Conduct an extensive program to combat juvenile delinquency and youth crime by:
a. Investigating and processing all cases of juvenile delinquency coming to its attention.
b. Patrolling areas and supervising places where delinquency is likely to occur.
c. Cooperating and assisting other members of the force in the prevention of juvenile delinquency and youth crime.
4. Enforce all laws specifically relating to children.
5. Cooperate with community agencies concerned with minors.
6. Suppress unlawful activities by youth groups and gangs and prevent such groups from assembling for unlawfull or disorderly purposes.
7. Investigate complaints of abandoned, neglected or abused children.
8. Investigate complaints of missing persons under twenty-one (21) years of age, in accordance with the general orders of the department.
9. Assist the courts in the prosecution of offenders at the Juvenile Court and Probation Department level.
10. Maintain files of of reports concerning juvenile offenses and investigations and mail notices to parents of offenders.
11. Maintain files on juvenile gangs.
12. Forward referrals to the Department of Social Services.
The Department has 3 youth officers who hold the rank of Detective and are under the direct supervision of the Detective Bureau.