Meeting - HABR March 9, 2010 (View All)
HISTORIC AREAS BOARD OF REVIEW
MARCH 9, 2010
MEMBERS PRESENT: Thano Schoppel
ALSO PRESENT: Deborah Arbolino, Administrative Aide
Denise Sullivan, Deputy Town Attorney
Thano Schoppel, Chair, called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. Hearings on this meeting’s agenda, which are made a part of this meeting, were held as noted below:
APPLICANTS DECISION HABR #
COMITO CONSTRUCTION APPROVED HABR#10-03
78.13 / 1 / 3.4; R-40 zone WITH CONDITIONS
KARAFIA CONTINUED HABR#10-04
78.13 / 1 / 3.13; R-40 zone
William Walthers made a motion to nominate Larry Bucciarelli Chairman and Margaret Raso, Second Chair, which motion was seconded by Tommy Quinn and carried unanimously.
THE DECISIONS RELATED TO THE ABOVE HEARINGS are inserted herein and made part of these minutes.
There being no further business to come before the Board, on motion duly made, seconded and carried, the meeting was adjoined at 8:30 P.M.
DATED: March 9, 2010
HISTORIC AREAS BOARD OF REVIEW
APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS
TO: Marc Comito HABR #10-03
87 6th Avenue March 9, 2010
Nyack, New York 10960
FROM: HISTORIC AREAS BOARD OF REVIEW, TOWN OF ORANGETOWN
HABR# 09-03: Application of Comito Construction for review of a proposed new single family residence to be located at lot 4 Kopak Lane, in the Town of Orangetown, Hamlet of Palisades, New York. Chapter 12, Section 12-4(A), Historic Areas Board of Review.
Tax Numbers: 78.13 / 1 / 3.4; R-40 zoning district.
Marc Comito, Robert Hoene, Architect, appeared and testified.
The applicant presented the following:
- Architectural plans dated January 27, 2010 (5 pages) signed and sealed by Robert Hoene, Architect.
- Subdivision plat for Route 9W Golf Subdivision dated 1/13/05 with the latest revision date of 11/29/05 by LMS Engineers LLP.
- Planting plan dated February 11, 2010 by BioLogic Earthscapes.
- Survey dated 1/10/10 signed and sealed by Jay A. Greenwell, P.L.S.
- Computer generated picture of the proposed dwelling.
- Revised Architectural plans with the latest revision date of March 11, 2010 (Window change, adjusted roof line, chimney).
Robert Hoene, Architect, testified that this is his second house in the development; that this house went to ACABOR and received approvals for the site planting plan; that he submitted a rendering that shows what the front of the house would look like; that the house is a two story house with a three car garage; that the exterior will be beige stucco with white trim on all sides and the front will have a ledgestone façade as per the front elevation plan; that the soffit and fascia will be white vinyl/ aluminum; that the roofing material will be Tamko Heritage 30 Architectural style shingles in Rustic Black; that the exterior entry door shall be double Therma Tru brand, stained mahogany style; that the door off the dinette shall be a Pella sliding door with white exterior trim; that the windows will be Pella brand as per the plan with white exteriors with grilles included on all windows; that the shutters shall be raised panel shutters in brown/grey; that the gutters shall be white aluminum and the leaders will match the color of the stucco; that the garage doors shall be white Clopay Coachman carriage style with divided light windows; that the driveway shall be macadam; that the front porch shall be bluestone with limestone border; that the steps and risers shall be limestone; that he listened to the Board the last time and tried to add interest to every elevation; that he has no problem making the fireplace flue a taller; that the back porch is wood and lattice; that the oval windows can be improved; that the second floor oval window can be replaced with the same window that is on the dormer; that the other two oval windows will be improved so that they do not look “home depo-ish”; that the roof pitch can be changed to lower the roof ridge by 2 or 2 ½ feet; and that the cantilevers can be extended at the eaves to make the house appear shorter.
Marc Comito stated that he will make all of the changes that the Board suggested; that he is shovel ready on this project and would like to start as soon as possible; that he would ask the Board to approve the project with the condition that the ridge height be lowered 2 or 2 ½ feet and the cantilevers can be extended at the eaves; that the windows can be changed, the fireplace made taller, and the front steps will have limestone treads.
Sylvia March, 224 Route 9W, stated that she lives three house down from this development; that she wants Palisades kept artistic; that the house appears very tall and alone; that the development should blend with artistic and historic Palisades.
FINDINGS OF FACT:
The Board, after personal observation of the property, hearing all the testimony and reviewing same, found as fact, that:
- The application as presented for the new house would not adversely affect the Historic District and the surrounding area. The design and materials for the proposed house as amended in the revised plans dated January 27, 2010 with the latest revision date of March 11, 2010 signed and sealed by Robert Hoene, Architect, are complimentary to the District.
DECISION: In view of the foregoing and the testimony before the Board, the application (Architectural plans by Robert Hoene, Architect with the latest revision date of March 11, 2010) is APPROVED as submitted and presented with the following conditions:
- Roof ridge shall be lowered by 2 feet and the roof shall be extended over the eaves of the house.
- The pitch of the roof was changed to 12 over 11.
- The height of the chimney shall be extended by two feet.
- The oval window on the second floor of the front elevation shall be changed to a window matching the proposed window on the dormer.
- The oval windows on the first floor elevations of the front of the house and the right side of the house shall be upgraded.
- The roof shall be Tamko Heritage 30 Architectural Style Shingles Rustic Black.
- Exterior will be beige stucco with white trim on all sides and chimney.
- Ledgestone façade as per front elevation.
- Soffit and fascia to be white vinyl /aluminum.
- Aluminum seamless gutters (white), leaders to match façade.
- Exterior entry door shall be double Therma Tru brand, stained mahogany.
- Exterior door by the dinette shall be Pella sliding door with white exterior trim.
- The windows shall be Pella brand, sizes per plan, white exterior color with grilles included on all windows.
- Raised panel shutters in brown/grey.
- Garage doors (3) shall be white Clopay Coachman carriage style with divided lights.
- Driveway shall be macadam.
- Front porch shall be bluestone with limestone border, steps to be limestone treads and matching stone risers.
The foregoing resolution was presented and moved by Scott Wheatley, seconded by Thomas Quinn; and carried as follows: Margaret Raso, aye; William Walther; aye; Scott Wheatley, aye; Wayne Garrison, aye; Thano Schoppel, aye; Thomas Quinn, aye; and Larry Bucciarelli, aye.
The Administrative Aid to the Board is hereby authorized, directed and empowered to sign this decision and file a certified copy thereof in the office of the Town Clerk.
Dated: March 9, 2010
HISTORIC AREAS BOARD OF REVIEW
TOWN OF ORANGETOWN
Deborah Arbolino, Administrative Aide
APPLICANT TOWN CLERK
TOWN BOARD MEMBERS HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT
HABR MEMBERS TOWN HISTORIAN
SUPERVISOR DEPT. OF ENVIRONMENTAL
TOWN ATTORNEY ENGINEERING
DEPUTY TOWN ATTORNEY HABR, PB, FILE
OBZPAE PB, ZBA, ACABOR CHAIRMAN
BUILDING INSPECTOR- .B.vW.