Meeting - ACABOR May 16, 2013 (View All)
|05/16/2013||ACABOR May 16, 2013||Architecture & Community Appearance Board of Review||Minutes|
|Scheduled:||05/16/2013 7:30 PM|
|Group(s):||Architecture & Community Appearance Board of Review|
Town of Orangetown Architecture and Community Appearance Board of Review
Meeting of May 16, 2013
Members Present: Thomas Warren – Chairman, James Dodge, Jack Messina, Paul Papay, Jill Fieldstein and Blythe Yost
Member Absent: Alex DiMenna
Also Present: Rick Pakola – Deputy Town Attorney, Ann Marie Ambrose – Stenographer and Cheryl Coopersmith – Chief Clerk
Thomas Warren, Chairman, called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
Mr. Warren read the agenda. Hearings as listed on this meeting’s agenda which are made a part of these minutes were held as noted below.
155 Corporate Drive Site Plan Amendment to Approved Plans Review of Site/Structure Plans
73.15/1/18 & 73.19/1/1; LIO zoning district
Approved ACABOR #13-23
A motion was made to adjourn the meeting by Thomas Warren and seconded by James Dodge and agreed by all in attendance. The Decision on the above hearing was made by the Board before the conclusion of the meeting and was mailed to the applicant. The verbatim minutes are not transcribed, but are available. As there was no further business before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m. The next ACABOR Meeting is scheduled for
June 6, 2013.
Dated: May 16, 2013
3′.:Jti::!O %)HJJ1~ ~~al
.. aIJ.111 .ha.WEiil
Douglas Bartels, Russo Development, 570 Commerce Blvd, Carlstadt, New Jersey 07072
Architecture and Community Appearance Board of Review
RE: 155 Corporate Drive Plan Amendment: The application of 155
Corporate Drive, Inc., owner, for the Review of an Amendment to the Approved Site, Structure, Landscaping Plans and Sign Plans: ACABOR #11-34, at a site to be known as “155 Corporate Drive Plan Amendment”, in accordance with Article
16 of the Town Law of the State of New York and Chapter 2 of the Code of the Town of Orangetown. The site is located at 155 Corporate Drive, on the south side of Corporate Drive, 850 feet west of Olympic Drive, Orangeburg, Town of Orangetown, Rockland County, New York, and as shown on the Orangetown. Tax Map as Section 73.15, Block 1, Lot 18 & Section 73.19, Block 1, Lot 1 in the LIO zoning district.
Heard by the Architecture ancl Community Appearance Board of Review of the Town of Orangetown at a meeting held Thursday, May 16, 2013, at which time the Board made the following determinations:
Andrew Del Vecchio and Michael Buldo appeared and testified for the applicant. The Board received the following items:
- Copies of PB #13-13, Amendment to Preliminary Site Plan Approval Subject to Conditions, dated March 27, 2013 and ACABOR #11-34, Approved Subject to Conditions, dated September 8, 2011.
- Plans prepared by Douglas G. Bartels, P.E. and Jack Shoemaker, PLS, dated October 30, 2009, last revision date of February 15, 2013:
C1: Title Sheet, revised July 28, 2011
C2: Existing Conditions Plan, revised May 21, 2011
C3: Site Plan, revised July 20, 2011
C3.1: Construction Logistics Plan
C4: Overall Grading Plan
C4.1: Grading & Drainage Plan
C4.2: Stormwater Management Plan and Details C4.3: Stormwater Management Plan and Details C5: Utility Plan
C8: Construction Details
C8.1: Site Identification Sign Plan & Details, dated April 19, 2013
3;>B.:W S]H31 e Ni\01
BlU w ttz, mv: mi
C9: Construction Details C10: Construction Details C11 : Landscape Plan C12: Lighting Plan
C13: Landscape & Lighting Details
C14: Soil Erosion & Sediment Control Plan
C15: Soil Erosion & Sediment Control Plan
- Architectural Plans prepared by Michael Buldo, RA., dated
February 15, 2013, last revision date of March 6, 2013:
A 1: First Floor Plan
A2: Roof Plan
A3: Building Elevations
A4: Building Elevations
- Three photographs of an existing building with similar facades constructed by Russo Development. Two photographs depicting a similar sign proposed for the project site.
- A letter from Russo Development, signed by Douglas G. Bartels, P.E., Vice
President – Development, dated April 22, 2013.
- Submitted at the meeting by the applicant, reduced color plans of Proposed Data Center at 155 Corporate Drive, prepared by Russo Development, dated May 16, 2013:
AO: Property Site Plan A 1 : First Floor Plan A2: Roof Plan
A3: Building Elevations
A4: Screen Wall Elevations
A5: Example Russo Building Photo A6: Example Russo Building Photo A7: Example Russo Property Signage
FINDINGS OF FACT:
- The Board found that the applicant proposed to amend the prior building approval in order to construct a new back office data center. Zoning variances required for the revised Plans were granted by the Town of Orangetown Zoning Board of Appeals on May 15, 2013, decision ZBA#13-34.
3o1:1.:to ~nrn313 1ma1
- lillldH himYSll
ff&Q13t)NVBO JO t:t!Ml
- The Board found that the building materials as originally proposed and approved, have not changed with the amended plans. The rear elevation of the building is proposed to be gray tone precast concrete panels, as previously approved. The proposed colors of the brick faced concrete panels on the three other building facades have changed from the original approval to a slight variation in color. The colors of the building are in keeping with the colors of other buildings in the area.
- The Board found that the building would have three sides of brick veneer in two tones, Brick A – the main color, would be dark red/brown and Brick B – accent color, would be grey brick and used on the top and bottom
bandings and vertical piers, both manufactured by Endicott Clay Products.
- The Board found that on the west side towards the rear of the lot, a 26 foot high wall would enclose the equipment yard. The waits are to be constructed of the same material and colors as the building.
- The Board found that mechanical equipment may be placed above the office area on the structure. A five foot high parapet would be placed along the roof top, and mechanical equipment would not be visible at grade. The applicant noted that since the use of the building would be a data center, placing mechanical equipment producing liquid on the roof would not be desirable.
- The Board found that the landscaping plan required some adjustments due to the new use of the building. The applicant noted that plant screening would be used to create a security boundary around the building. The Board recommended that in the area that separates the parking lot from the detention basin, plant a higher growing plant rather than the proposed llex shrub.
- The Board found that \IVhiteAsh trees are proposed for the site. The Board suggested an alternative plant since White Ash trees are being impacted by the “Emerald Ash Borer”. lt was recommended that the applicant consider plantings from the Zelkova tree species.
- The Board found that the line of Eastern Arborvitae Nigra trees proposed between the parking facility and building, may be changed to Green Giant Arborvitae. The trees could be planted at 10 feet on center, rather than
the original 12 feet.
- The Board found that as previously proposed, Norway Spruce trees would be planted across the rear of the lot in two staggered rows.
3~B.:!O <sW831~ ~fi4}1
1jJ n llJ ti.a :WA ml
- The Board found that the lighting on the building and in the parking area have not changed from the previously approved lighting plan.
11.The Board found that the amended Site Plan provides for gated controlled rear and front access to the parking facility. The gate/ fence would consist of an 8 foot high chain link gate/ fence with green hedge slats.
- The Board found that a double faced, externally lit monument sign was proposed. The sign for 155 Corporate Drive would have the name of the developer, “Russo Development” and the street number. The sign would be constructed of brick face for the monument portion of the sign, with panel signage on each side. The background of the sign panels would be painted enamel finish in black with wording in red, black and white. The sign dimensions and colors are provided on Sheet C8.1, last revision date of April 26, 2013.
The hearing was then opened to the Public. There being no one to be heard from the public, the Public Hearing portion of the meeting was closed.
DECISION: In view of the foregoing and the testimony before the Board, the application was APPROVED SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:
- The rear elevation of the building shall be gray tone precast concrete panels, as previously approved. The three sides of brick veneer are in two tones, Brick A – main color, will be dark red/brown and Brick B – accent color, will be grey brick and used for the top and bottom bandings and vertical piers, both manufactured by Endicott Clay Products.
- A 26 foot high wall will enclose the equipment yard. The walls are to be constructed of the same material and colors as the building.
- A five foot high parapet will be placed along the roof top, and mechanical equipment will not be visible at grade.
- The amended Site Plan provides for gated controlled rear and front access to the parking lot, The gate/ fence will consist of an 8 foot high chain link gate/ fence with green hedge slats. The fence dimensions are provided on Sheet C8. last revision date of April 26, 2013.
- A double faced, externally lit monument sign will be erected on the site.
The sign for 155 Corporate Drive will have the name of the developer, “Russo Development” and the street number. The sign will be constructed of brick face with the same panel signage on each side. The
background of the sign panels will be painted enamel finish in black with wording in red, black and white. The sign dimensions are provided on Sheet C8.1, last revision date of April 26, 2013.
- Trees to be saved shall be prptected with snow fencing to the drip line during construction.
3~Ud0 S)iH31~ N!lfii
liJ !l ~B nz. &mil ,mt
- No grading is to take place within five feet of any property line, except as specified on the approved site plan.
- The Landscaping plan shall be revised as follows:
- Plantings from the Zelkova tree species shall be placed in locations noted to be “White Ash trees”
- The Eastern Arborvitae Nigra trees proposed between the parking facility and the building shall be changed to Green Giant
Arborvitae. The trees should be planted at 10 feet on center, rather
than the original 12 feet.
The foregoing resolution was presented and moved by James Dodge and seconded by Jill Fieldstein and carried as follows: Thomas Warren, aye; Paul Papay, aye; Jack Messina, aye; James Dodge, aye; Jill Fieldstein, aye; Alex DiMenna, absent, and Blyth Yost, aye.
The Clerk to the Board is hereby authorized, directed and empowered to sign this Decision and file a certified copy in the Office of the Town Clerk and the Office of the Architecture and Community Appearance Board of Review.
‘3~i::!~O ~)H.EI10 MJIQl
Qoi3e)ttVc:iO 30 ttllG1