• DePew House
  • Salyer House
  • Orangetown Resolutions

Orangetown Historical Museum & Archives

Mary Cardenas, Museum Director & Town Historian

Elizabeth Skrabonja, Curator

The Orangetown Historical Museum & Archives
196 Chief Bill Harris Way, Orangeburg, NY 10962
Tel: (845) 398-1302 
www.orangetownmuseum.com
 

  

U p c o m i n g    E v e n t s

FROM HOLLAND TO HERE

 

April 18 – November 15th 2015 at the DePew House

196 Chief Bill Harris Way, Orangeburg NY

 

Tuesdays 10 – 2, Sundays 1 – 4 or by appointment

Admission is free: donations accepted

 

Featuring the George Way Collection of Dutch Art & Artifacts

 

FROM HOLLAND TO HERE examines the Dutch heritage of the Town of Orangetown by way of the collection of George Way, America’s premier collector of Dutch 17th century art. On loan will be a stunning display of paintings, miniatures, silver, brass, delftware, prints, drawings and furniture. The collection significantly contributes to the backstory of who the Dutch were in the 1680’s, (particularly the Blauvelt descendants and neighbors of Gerrit Hendricksen) when a group of Dutch farmers left their ‘Boweries’ off Maiden Lane in Manhattan to settle here in Orangetown.

 

Spirited, adventurous and descended from a highly developed culture, these earliest residents got out of Manhattan. They re-settled their families maintaining their language and traditions away from the scrutiny of the English. Join us for an extraordinary opportunity to examine the background of a people who, through their efforts, have distinguished Orangetown as a place rich in history.

 

CONTACT: (845) 398-1302, special arrangements for press previews and schools.

otownmuseum@optonline.net

 
 

 Orangetown Crier Spring

Orangetown Crier Winter 2015
The Orangetown Crier

News from the
Orangetown Historical Museum & Archives


Download Winter 2015 Flyer
 
 

The Orangetown Historical Museum & Archives was founded in 1992 in order to acquire, preserve and exhibit objects which reflect primarily the history of the Town of Orangetown. The Museum’s additional but not lesser mission is to document, research, promote and publicize the rich historical heritage of the town for the people of Orangetown

 

The museum is housed in two distinct buildings bearing Dutch sandstone features indicative of the area. The historic SALYER HOUSE at 213 Blue Hill Road in Pearl River, New York is the Museum’s first home and since 2003 has been listed on the register of Historic Places. On view at the Salyer House is a permanent exhibit in three parts: A Spy in Our Midst – Maj. John Andre, Our Dutch Sandstone Houses and At Home in Orangetown.  The DEPEW HOUSE at 196 Chief Bill Harris Way in Orangeburg, New York houses the Museum’s archives and offices. Currently on exhibit; Our Lives in Their Hands – Fire, Police & Emergency Services of Orangetown. Exhibition hours: Tuesdays 10 – 2, Sundays, 1 – 4, donations accepted, tours by appointment. For further information please call: (845) 398-1302.